Lentil and Kale Soup
This soup is packed with veggies, lentils and a few simple seasonings. It comes together easily and tastes great as leftovers.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups uncooked green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth, (or 8 cups water + 2 buillon cubes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch kale or spinach, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and saute until the onions are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add the crushed tomatoes, lentils, broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and partially cover the pot leaving a small amount open to allow steam to escape.Cook for 25 to 30 minutes until the lentils are tender. Remove the bay leaf.
Add the kale and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the greens are wilted. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
STORAGE: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To freeze, allow the soup to cool completely. Store in a zipped-top bag or freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat in a pan on the stovetop.
- Lentils: Green or brown lentils work best for this recipe. Red lentils will soften and break apart so they are not recommended.
- Vegetable Broth: You can also use 8 cups of water plus 2 vegetable bouillon cubes instead, if desired.
- Lemon Juice: Fresh lemon juice enhances the flavors of the soup. You can omit, if desired.
- Olive Oil: You can substitute with avocado oil.
Calories: 255kcal, Carbohydrates: 44g, Protein: 16g, Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 298mg, Potassium: 884mg, Fiber: 19g, Sugar: 8g, Vitamin A: 3967IU, Vitamin C: 23mg, Calcium: 96mg, Iron: 6mg